Monday, December 7, 2009

College of Science Insights: Meg's Story

By Meg, a senior in the College of Science
Major: Biochemistry
President, Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Professional Society)

The best decision I EVER made was to attend Virginia Tech (GO HOKIES)! The second best decision was to study biochemistry in the College of Science.

As a pre-medical student, the College of Science was a great fit for me from the start. It has prepared me for the medical college admission test (MCAT) as well as afforded me the opportunity to explore the many diverse areas of science. Not only was I prepared in the classroom, but many courses within my major were supplemented with a hands-on laboratory course. It was in these courses where I learned how to apply the material from lecture and to understand and appreciate its relevance in science and medicine today.

Outside of the normal course work, there are countless extracurricular opportunities associated with the college, including pre-professional organizations, study abroad programs and undergraduate research positions just to name a few. It was through these opportunities that I was able to meet other students who shared my similar interests. Throughout the past few years, we have motivated one another to explore our passions and achieve our dreams.

Whether you intend on pursuing a career in medicine, research, or any other field, the teamwork and problem-solving skills you will learn in the College of Science will more than adequately prepare you for whatever your future may hold; the opportunities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment