Monday, February 8, 2010

Liz's story: a personal perspective on theme housing

By Liz, a junior in the College of Science
Major: chemistry and psychology
Resident Advisor, Hillcrest Hall

Making the decision to come to Virginia Tech was easy. When it came time for me to look at colleges, I didn't even consider any other school because I knew that I was meant to be a Hokie from the first time I stepped foot on the Virginia Tech campus. Making the decision on where I wanted to live my freshman year was not so easy. I love meeting new people, but the thought of being placed in a random residence hall, with random people, and a random roommate was still a little frightening to say the least. From my experiences in high school, I did not think I was mature enough to responsibly handle the pressures of college life alone. Therefore, I began to look into theme housing programs because I liked the idea of living in an established community.

After exploring the theme housing options, I decided to apply to The WELL. The WELL, which stands for "Wellness Environment for Living and Learning," is the wellness and substance-free theme housing program at Virginia Tech. In The WELL, I lived alongside a group of spectacular individuals who shared a common interest in pursuing well-rounded, healthy lifestyles. Being around these individuals encouraged me to make wise decisions and helped me find my footing in the college world. In retrospect, choosing to live in The WELL. was the best decision I have made in my college career.

Since my days in The WELL, I have experienced life in Lee Hall (in regular housing) and Hillcrest Hall (the honors theme housing community) as a resident advisor. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my time in a regular residence hall and would not trade it for anything, my experience in tThe WELL and now in Hillcrest has been different. While the community I felt on a regular hall was strong, there is truly a deeper, unspoken bond between members of a theme housing community.

Theme housing provides a unique environment for you to establish a community of support, because all of the individuals you live with are focused and united under a common goal from the start (whether it be wellness living, academics, leadership, engineering, diversity, etc.). So, if you are interested in becoming part of a unique community here on campus, explore theme housing. It's not for everyone, but if it is something you are considering, I say, "Go for it!" I was a little apprehensive about living in theme housing my freshman year - but it is a decision I am glad I made and it has made my experience at Virginia Tech so much more than I could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment