Monday, March 15, 2010

College of Architecture & Urban Studies Insights: Mark's Story

Mark McKenzie, a sophomore in the College of Architecture and Urban Studies

Major: public and urban affairs


As a second generation Hokie and avid football fan, coming to Virginia Tech for college was an easy decision. However, like many freshman I was completely unsure of what I wanted to study once I got here. There were subjects I enjoyed but nothing I truly had a passion for. I tried several different majors and none seemed like the right fit.


The best decision I have made during my time at Virginia Tech was to study Public and Urban Affairs in the College of Architecture and Urban Studies. This is just one of several unique programs in the college ranging from landscape architecture to interior design. My major is unique in that classes are geared towards giving students skills that directly apply to the professional world. Also, as a smaller major I have had the chance to develop close friendships with my peers. Outside of the classroom, the college offers opportunities like study abroad, internships, and student organizations.


The College of Architecture and Urban Studies prepares students for a wide variety of opportunities. Whether you are interested in the fine arts, design, building construction, or even policy there is a place for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment