Friday, March 19, 2010

College of Natural Resources Insights: Ginna's Story

By Ginna, a senior in the College of Natural Resources

Major: Geography, with a concentration in cultural, regional, and international development marketing


As Before I even started at Virginia Tech, I knew I wanted to study Geography. The summer before I started my freshman year, I applied to major in Geography with a Cultural, Regional, and International Development concentration. During the past four years, I have taken some amazing classes, and have experienced some awesome opportunities.

I have studied cultures and current events in World Regions, an extremely popular class throughout the university. I studied the impacts of mountains in both physical and cultural aspects in Mountain Geography. I learned to read maps, and put it into practice in an exercise at a local park during an inter-class competition for Maps and Mapping. I got to create a road trip as an assignment in Geography of North America.

I also was able to spend two and a half weeks studying Geography in England with Virginia Tech faculty members, other Virginia Tech students, and Virginia Public School teachers. During this time I took hikes in Cumbria in northern England, visited the romantic Cotswolds, and rode the Tube in London.

The College of Natural Resources has helped me have a fantastic experience at Virginia Tech. I have made wonderful friends, studied with kind and knowledgeable professors, and added to my cultural awareness. I graduate in May, with great pleasure in knowing I have a Geography degree from Virginia Tech. I once read on a coffee cup from Starbucks, that “Geography is a flavor,” and I love the “flavor” that Virginia Tech has given me.


No comments:

Post a Comment