Monday, October 11, 2010

College of Architecture & Urban Studies Insights: Andrea's story

By Andrea, a student in the College of Architecture & Urban Studies

Major: Architecture



When I tell people I am majoring in architecture, I often receive a cocked head and questionable look in response. Architecture interests many, confuses some, and thrills others. If I could share with all these people what an amazing learning and growth experience the College of Architecture and Urban Studies (CAUS) has been to me, I think they would just smile in joy with me.

The
CAUS has given me more than I could have ever dreamt of in terms of academic and personal growth. The professors challenge students to think beyond the realm of their past experience; to research through the extensive and thorough resources within the Art & Architecture Library; and to expand their skills in shop, drafting, construction, computer and others.

Most importantly, through our assignments and projects, we are encouraged to develop as designers by continually asking questions of design and making discoveries within our projects. I have learned that this is a process that never ends. It is in fact a lifelong design process that is constantly evolving as we learn of new ideas, discover new technologies, and experience new times.

Another huge aspect of the
CAUS at Virginia Tech is the ability to live, discuss, and learn within a close-knit group of design students and professionals. At Virginia Tech there is such a bond between students and professors that the individuals who walk around Cowgill and Burchard truly become family in your studio home. In this way, and in many others, design becomes a lifestyle. It goes deeper than your short- or long-term memory, but it becomes part of who you are and part of your everyday. The design world, as they call it, truly is a different place and a different mindset, than anything I had experienced before. After a year in the CAUS at VT, I have gained a heightened sense of awareness, have begun to think as a designer, and have realized the joy and fulfillment brought through design.

No comments:

Post a Comment