Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Study Abroad: There are Hokies all over the world!

By Annie, Admissions Advisor, 2010 Graduate

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies


I've heard it said that Hokies are all over the world. But I didn't believe it until I actually went to the other side of the world!

In July 2008, I traveled to South Africa to begin a semester abroad. I arrived in Cape Town, South Africa late on a rainy night with no reservations, phone numbers, or contacts because my luggage was lost. I was terrified and clueless because my plane had arrived hours later than my scheduled landing.

I met a woman who took me to the only local hotel. So I went into the hotel only to learn that that they were completely booked. Tears came to my eyes. I was in alone, homeless, and lost in an extremely dangerous foreign country.

As I stepped back from the front desk and began to evaluate what my next move would be, I noticed a Virginia Tech t-shirt in the corner of my eye. So I ran over to the strangers and introduced myself. And, by the grace of God, I ran into a small group of Virginia Tech students who were traveling through Southern Africa and they just happened to be in Cape Town.

My fellow Hokies, and new friends immediately, offered to let me stay in their room. They let me crash in their hotel room, fed me dinner, and clothed me. Could I ask for anything more? Thankfully, in the morning I was able to contact my new university and arrived safely. My first day in a foreign country immediately proved that there are Hokies all over the world.

I learned a few things on my trip:
  1. When traveling, keep the contact numbers on you in case your luggage is lost!
  2. Once a Hokie always a Hokie.
  3. Whenever anyone asks me what a Hokie is, I say, "I AM."

Check out what Hayden, 2010 Admissions Advisor, has to say about her education abroad experience:


No comments:

Post a Comment